National Framework and Institutional
Arrangements on DRR
Regional Frameworks and Declarations
Myanmar is part of global and regional Frameworks and Declarations on Disaster Management and Disaster Risk Reduction, a few is as follows:
the Hyogo Framework for Action [HFA]- the outcome document of the World Conference on Disaster Reduction (WCDR) held in Kobe, Japan in 2005. Myanmar government has submitted National Progress Report on the implementation of the HFA in 2011.
Active participation at the Asian Ministerial Conferences on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR)
Active member of the ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management (ACDM) established in early 2003.
The ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER). Myanmar signed the AADMER in July 2005 and subsequently ratified the AADMER.
Myanmar Action Plan for Disaster Risk Reduction (MAPDRR, 2009-2015) was developed as DRR National Framework covering period of 2009-2015. MAPDRR is the outcome of collective effort of the 24-member inter-agency Task Force chaired by the Director General of Relief and Resettlement Department. The MAPDRR is a comprehensive multi-hazard action plan on Disaster Risk Reduction of Myanmar with the aim ‘to make Myanmar safer and more resilient against Natural Hazards, thus Protecting lives, livelihood and Development gains’. It has identified 64 projects on DRR under 7 components.
The 7 components of MAPDRR are:
Component 1: Policy, Institutional arrangements and further institutional development Component 2: Hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment Component 3: Multi-hazard Early Warning Systems Component 4: Preparedness and Response Programs at National, State/Division, District & Township levels Component 5: Mainstreaming of Disaster Risk Reduction into Development Component 6: Community based Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction Component 7: Public Awareness, Education and Training
Standing Order on Natural Disaster Management (SO, 2009) was drafted and finalized by the 33-member drafting committee as per the direction of the Prime Minister’s Office. The Standing Order determined the duties and responsibilities to be carried out at National level and Region/State level in the different phases of disaster – pre disaster, during disaster and relief, recovery and reconstruction. It has also guided the formation of various committees, their functions and the coordination mechanisms among government agencies at different level to facilitate the operations.
Institutional Arrangements on DRR
Institutional Arrangements on DRR in Myanmar is well laid out from the nation level to sub-national level, including the Region/State level, District level, Township level and Village Tract level.
Click here to view details Institutional Arrangements for Disaster Management in Myanmar.
At national level, the Myanmar Disaster Preparedness Agency (MDPA) was constituted under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement. The Union Minister for Defense and the Union Minister for Home Affairs are the Vice Chairmen of MDPA while the Deputy Minister for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement is the Secretary and the Director General of Relief and Resettlement under Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement is the Joint Secretary and other members of MDPA are:
- The Deputy Ministers for Home Affairs
- The Deputy Minister of for Border Affairs
- The Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs,
- The Deputy Minister for Information
- The Deputy Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation
- The Deputy Minister for Transport
- The Deputy Minister for Rail Transportation
- The Deputy Minister for Education
- The Deputy Minister for Health
The Myanmar Disaster Preparedness Management Working Committee was also constituted to have the effective disaster management mechanism. And the Committee has (13) Sub-committees which are:
- News and Information Sub-committee
- Emergency Communication Sub-committee
- Search and Rescue Sub-committee
- Emergency Supply and Shelter Rehabilitation Sub-committee
- Confirmation of Damages and Losses Sub-committee
- Transportation and Route Clearance Sub-committee
- Health Care Sub-committee
- Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Sub-committee
- Security Sub-committee
- Finance Sub-committee
- International Relation Sub-committee
- Psychological Support in the Rehabilitation Period Sub-committee and
- Emergency Supervising Sub-committee
Moreover, the Myanmar Disaster Preparedness Advisory Group was formed with the personnel from Academia and various institutions.
The Myanmar National Search and Rescue Committee was constituted under the Chairmanship of the Union Minister for Home Affairs. The Union Minister for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement and the Union Minister for President Office are the Vice Chairmen while the Deputy Minister for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement is the Secretary and the Director General for Relief and Resettlement Department under the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement is the Joint Secretary. The Committee has 17 members from the line ministries, relevant departments and social organizations as follows:
- the Deputy Minister for Home Affair
- the Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs
- the Deputy Minister the Deputy Minister for Information
- the Deputy Minister for Rail Transportation
- the Deputy Minister for Transport
- the Deputy Minister for Health
- the Deputy Minister for Livestock and Fisheries
- the Chief-of-Staff (Army)(Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Army))
- the Chief-of-Staff (Navy) (Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Navy))
- the Chief of Staff (Air)(Office of the Commander-in-Chief (Air))
- the Director General for Department of Civil Aviation
- the Director General for Department of Marine Administration
- the Director General for Road Transport Administration
- the Director General for Fire Services Department
- the Chairman of Myanmar Red Cross Society
- the Chairman of Myanmar Women Affairs Federation
- the Chairman of Maternal and Child Welfare Association